Sunday, December 10, 2006

Music Critic Hall Of Fame?

The idea of a Music Critic Hall of Fame could make some people queasy. What I've found since the dawn of the internet age is that people have strong opinions about the "name" critics of yore. Mention Robert Christgau or Dave Marsh and you're bound to hear it from many music fans who've felt that both those men ragged on some of their favorite singers for too long. But if you had a MC Hall Of Fame both would be there. I've thought of doing this for a long time, but outside of the big names, I felt I would miss many unknowns who influenced a lot of today's writers. So, for now it remains on the backburner. Even Googled my post header and nothing came up under the subject. But the idea isn't that crazy. I've seen posts suggesting that the RRHOF induct some critics (e.g. Lester Bangs). I grew up in what I think is the Golden Age of Rock criticism, when Rolling Stone and Creem ruled my reading. There are good critics working today, but I still revert back to the familiar when I'm interested in a product.
Add to Technorati Favorites