Wednesday, July 30, 2008

60's Meets 70's Meets Indie Twee

Seattle's well-reviewed self-titled Indie debut, Fleet Foxes, is typical of the genres releases, except for one thing. Like a lot of Indie the vocals are twee, quaint. Kind of like the lead singer of My Morning Jacket. And like a lot of Indie bands they are influenced by Pet Sounds era Beach Boys. So, I thought, what's the big deal and why should I give the album a spin even though I know it'll end up on many year end lists, judging by the reviews I've seen. Well, unlike a lot of Indie bands they mix their Beach Boy chorales with 70's Classic Rock. At least they do on half the album. So, while groups like the Imperial Teen and Apples In Stereo have been mining the 60's Pop sound for years, Fleet Foxes have mixed it up and made it all the more interesting.
Add to Technorati Favorites