Monday, November 17, 2008

Soul Vs. Covers

The difference between Seal's Soul and James Taylor's Covers isn't that they both cover old chestnuts, more so on Seal, but the production. Taylor's sounded generic and while David Foster might make you cringe, he let's Seal sound more soulful here than on any of his solo albums. Having said that you won't need to replace your Sam Cooke and Al Green records (the latter covered twice). And I must admit that my favorite cut is "Free", Deniece Williams Old School classic from 1976, not exactly a much covered song, which means I wish Seal hadn't went for the tried and true. This is the 2nd cover of "Free" I've heard in 2008 (another was a Smooth Jazz version). But if your a sucker for covers albums like me, than Soul is alright.
Add to Technorati Favorites