Sunday, January 11, 2009

Most Disappointing Purchase of 2008

There were a lot of candidates for this post. But I decided not to include any promos, which discounted my most disappointing album of 2008: Black Keys Attack and Release. Instead I began to think of only albums that I bought with my hard earned money. And then I narrowed it to 1, yes one.
And it is:

James Morrison - Songs For You, Truths For Me

Morrison, a UK singer, had a good debut album. Blessed with the best sandpaper Soul voice since Rod Stewart, his blue-eyed Soul songs were indeed fresh.
But the followup eschews the Blue-eyed for glossy Pop and tried to reach an American audience with songs that were just plain weak. I won't give up on that voice just yet, but the tepid response to this album, even overseas, hopefully means that Morrison go back to the blue-eyed styling of his debut.
Add to Technorati Favorites