Wednesday, May 06, 2009

80's Hair Metal Nostalgia

VH1 Classic's That Metal Show and Metal Mania have me thinking that maybe I've underrated the Hair Metal era. Actually, I've never underrated it, but have never taken it as seriously as I should. There were some good songs back then, right? Most bands were singles artists, some made a good album, and one will get into the RRHOF (Guns 'N' Roses, although Def Leppard can make an argument).
Still, my own collection isn't lacking in Hair band comps or albums. I've got collections or albums by Cinderella, Warrant, Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Guns, etc.
Looking over Chuck Eddy's essay on this genre in the 1992 Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll (1992! talk about in need of an update), only 2 acts he mentioned in there caught my eye: Ratt and one he's big on Kix. I couldn't name you one song by Kix, but he has me interested in Ratt, who I know.
So, go ahead and call it 80's nostalgia, but come on, the era left behind some good stuff.
Add to Technorati Favorites