Tuesday, July 21, 2009

We Welcome You To Crackerbox Palace

Finally, a career spanning George Harrison collection. But you know how comps are, there's always something missing. And frankly when I saw the track list I wasn't surprised that one of my fave Harrison songs, "Crackerbox Palace" wasn't listed.

Why was I surprised? Even people I know who are Beatles fans have a hard time remembering that song. "Blow Away" did make the cut, but very few remember that one, either.

Still, it doesn't matter to me. "Crackerbox Palace" got to #19 in 1977. But I like the song's humor and just plain strangeness (remember the promo video?) What to get rid of to make room for it? For one thing, the 3 live takes on his Beatle songs don't need to be here. Without them you can add "Love Comes To Everyone", "Crackerbox" or a live cut from his Japan disc.

Harrison's solo career was good but not great. His albums after All Things Must Pass are dicey, at least until Cloud Nine, and this comp is geared not for the Harrison-fanatics but for the casual consumer who wants something simple to play in their car or the Ipod. But damn I was rooting for you "Crackerbox Palace".
Add to Technorati Favorites