Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Spinners Tribute

The death on April 10th of this year of Bobby Smith, a founding member of the Spinners, had me going back to listen to a lot of their classic 70's Atlantic output.  They had quite a run, but are now down to their last original member, Henry Fambrough.  So, I thought I'd put together a little Spinners tribute of their best songs.  I kept it at a solid 20.  Mostly singles and a few album cuts.  2 pre-Atlantic songs and 2 post Philippe Wynne ones.

As probably the biggest supporter for their Rock Hall induction, I remain puzzled as to why it took until 2012 for them to be nominated.  I still like their chances, but each year I grow more frustrated, even though many people tell me they should already be in.

So, here's 20 ranked songs for any doubters of their credentials:

1.  Games People Play (They Just Can't Stop It)
2.  Could It Be I'm Falling In Love
3.  One of A Kind (Love Affair)
4.  Love Don't Love Nobody
5.  Mighty Love
6.  I'll Be Around
7.  Then Came You  w/Dionne Warwick
8.  It's A Shame
9.  Rubberband Man
10.  Sadie
11.  Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me Girl
12.  Ghetto Child
13.  Honest I Do
14.  Living A Little, Laughing A Little
15. How Could I Let You Get Away
16. Since I Been Gone
17. Cupid/I've Loved You For A Long Time
18. He'll Never Love You Like I Do
19. I'm Coming Home
20. That's What Girls Are Made For





Albums:
Four of their studio albums from 1972-1975 are highly recommended.  Spinners, Mighty Love, New and Improved & Pick of the Litter.  As for compilations there are many but Rhino's Very Best of and Definitive Soul (2CD) are the best in print.  The best comp is the out-of-print, but easy to get used 2CD, One of A Kind Love Affair: Anthology.
And finally in 2003, Rhino put out a 3CD box set strangely titled Chrome Collection,  which is also out of print.  The box covered the years 61-89.  Not as definitive as the 2CD sets above, as it runs out steam halfway through the 3rd disc.  For die-hard fans only.  Like me.

Add to Technorati Favorites