Sunday, June 28, 2015

Chris Squire

I didn't become a Yes fan until the early 90's.  A friend of mine turned me on to them and the whole Prog Rock genre.  I certainly knew of their music.  But I kept a distance from their non-hits.  Once I started listening to their back catalog I was converted.  I'm guessing my reluctance to embrace Prog was brought on by reading Rolling Stone, Christgau's Consumer Guide and other music mags were dismissive of the genre.

Yet, Prog has outlasted all the critics that took shots at it.  True, the laggards at the Rock Hall waited until 2010 to induct their first Prog act, Genesis.  And only inducted Rush after their fans threatened to take over the place  (not true, but could have been if they waited any longer).    But those two victories were hard fought.  And the genre is still waiting for more of its acts to get in:  Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, King Crimson and of course Yes.  Finally nominated in 2014 after twenty years of eligibility they were again off the ballot last year.  

Chris Squire had an amazing career with Yes.  A founding member who played on all their albums.  The only one their from the beginning.  And his death has shone a spotlight on just how great a bass player he was.  The sad part is that another artist who should have been inducted into the Rock Hall years ago now will get in posthumously.  Squire once said he wasn't losing sleep over the snub. Let's hope his death will shine a new spotlight on Yes and Squire's music.  His was quite a Prog Rock legacy.
Add to Technorati Favorites