Monday, January 11, 2016

David Bowie (RIP + My Top 20 Bowie Songs)

You're going to see and hear the word chameleon used a lot when people talk about David Bowie.  That's the word I used on my Facebook post when I heard about his death.  But that's not what made me a Bowie fan.  I just liked his music.  His different guises certainly affected what type of music he played:  Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Thin White Duke all beget glam, Philly Soul and just good old Rock and Roll.
After 1983's Let's Dance, an album that Bowie himself wanted to be a smash, he seemed to lose interest in making anything remotely daring.  Suddenly his songs sounded tired, which never happened before.  At this point, I began to tune him out.  I still listened to whatever he released, but never went back to them.  In 2013, after 10 years without any new music, he finally reemerged.  Next Day wasn't the big splash I was hoping for, but there were moments that made me hope he had more in him.  Two days before he died, he released another, Blackstar,  At first listen, it sounded better than Next Day.  Still, my own memories of Bowie's greatest musical moments date before the mid-80s.
These Top 20 Bowie songs bare that out.  Maybe I've underestimated his work from the 90's. I'm sure his death will bring up some lost gems from this era.   Oh, and did I mention he was born on the same day, January 8th, as Elvis Presley?

1.  Space Oddity
2.  Golden Years
3.  Rebel Rebel
4.  Under Pressure w/Queen
5.  Heroes
6.  Modern Love
7.  Suffragette City
8.  Changes
9. Ziggy Stardust
10. Life On Mars
11. Let's Dance
12. Fame
13. Fashion
14. Jean Genie
15. Young Americans
16. Starman
17. Man Who Sold The World
18. All The Young Dudes
19. Ashes To Ashes
20. Moonage Daydream

As far as albums are concerned, you can't go wrong with these:
Man Who Sold The World
Hunky Dory
Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Young Americans
Station To Station
Low
Heroes
Lodger
Scary Monsters
Let's Dance
Singles 1969-1993   (1993)
Best of  (2002)

Also:  Five Years (2013)  (Film Documentary)


Add to Technorati Favorites