Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Village Voice

After 62 years the Village Voice is out of the printed business.  Another victim of the digital age.   Seeing this announcement brought back great pre-Internet memories.  Living in California, the newspaper wasn't always easy to find.  I first new of its existence because Robert Christgau's monthly Consumer Guide would was part of it.

So, I would head to my local independent bookstores weekly and see if a new issue came out.  Then our city library began carrying it.  I stayed for their ace music section, and then started to get hooked on its coverage of politics, movies, etc.

The Voice is also responsible for the yearly Pazz & Jop Music Critics Poll, of which I've been a voter since the early 2000's.  Hopefully that will continue.

In our digital age, I'm always surprised that some of my favorite niche music and other types of smaller magazines are still in print.  But I still like to read offline newspapers, etc.  Nostalgia plays a part when something that was always there is gone.  The Voice may live online, but it won't be the same as a non-paper presence.


Village Voice To Stop Print Edition

Add to Technorati Favorites