Monday, December 25, 2017

My Childhood Christmas Music Memories

My Dad had a handful of vinyl LP's that he played at Christmas.  Until I got older and brought my own CD's to our Holiday get together, his albums were the only ones I heard.  For many years.
Elvis being the the King in our house as well, his two Christmas albums (from 1957 and 1971) got the most plays.  The other three or four were from Country singers (Merle Haggard, a Country compilation) and Pop singers like Engelbert Humperdinck.

Of all those, the one that always got played, even when I would bring my own Xmas albums, was Elvis Sings the Wonderful World of Christmas from 1971.  There are 11 songs on it, and a few keepers: "It Won't Seem Like Christmas (Without You)", "If I Get Home On Christmas Day", and the masterpiece, a 7 minute bluesy, down home and slightly dirty version of "Merry Christmas Baby", with James Burton providing stinging guitar.  Everyone should hear it once in their life.

My Mom was German, so we celebrated the Holiday on Christmas Eve.

So, every year I still play both Elvis Christmas albums, but it's the 1971 release that triggers memories of sitting in a crowded living room, opening presents, having a good time.
Those Christmas album memories are for my Dad (who passed in 2008) and Mom (2014).  They are my way of giving both a great big hug and kiss on Christmas Eve.

Add to Technorati Favorites