Tuesday, June 23, 2020

My Postal Life (the Music Post)

How to keep up with music when you have a job that takes nearly 10 hour to complete?

It wasn't easy, but I did it.  And for over 30 years too.  Music has played a major role in my life since my teens.  And I always made room for it.  Even when days got short.

Here was my basic setup during my Postal years. In the late 80's, I tried using a Sony Discman while working, but it was too burdensome. And I had to keep taking off my headphones everytime I left my case.

Next I bought a Sony AM/FM Cassette Walkman, and from the mid-90's until I retired in 2020, that's the route I went when listening to music.  Eventually I got an radio Walkman only.  And from the early 90's until the 2010's that the way I listening to music.  I grew tired of terrestrial radio and started listening to my old Ipod's again.  I had 2 of them.  A classic Ipod that was from the first generation. When that got full, I used one of the last Ipod's that were produced.

And for the last decade that was my morning routine.  Punch the clock, listen to music and get the mail ready.  Once I left the office, the only time I played music was when on breaks.

People would always ask me why I didn't just use my Iphone for music, but I've always had this fear that it would shorten my battery life.  As Iphone battery power got better, this wasn't the case, but I still had a phobia about it.

So, I kept up, but listening to music was never a chore for me.  When I was tired, which was often, I couldn't put anything on.  But given time off, I always caught up.

But more importantly.  Hearing good music kept me going throughout another routine work day.  I know this to be true for many others who have different jobs.

Now hear I am, with even more time to do the things I love.  BTW, I'm typing up this post while music is streaming in the background.  Life isn't so bad after all.
Add to Technorati Favorites