Friday, October 30, 2020

My Top 50 Albums Of All Time (The Cut List)

When I attempted to make my own Top 50 All-Time favorite albums, in response to Rolling Stone Magazine's 2020 Update of its Top 500 Albums, I left many albums outside the Top 50 that I love.  Making my own Top 50, I decided to give myself some restrictions to follow.  Namely, 2 albums per artist.  This gave me a chance to list more albums by more artists.  For this expanded A-Z list, there were no restrictions. This 51-100 list is unranked and in alphabetical order. 

As it turned out, the cutting room floor of albums that I could have put in my Top 50 was long.  Lists can be quite the headache inducing endeavor.  Even this list is missing many of my favorites.  And I said when I posted my Top 50, these titles could change if I were to compile this again down the road. 

Both my initial Top 50 and this list don't have any Jazz albums, only because I believe that genre deserves its own Top 500 countdown.  Hello, Down Beat Magazine? 

Other Contenders
Al Green - Call Me (73)
Alexander O' Neal - Hearsay (87)
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (06)
Anthology of American Folk Music Vol. 1-3 (Box Set) - Various (97)
Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul (68)
Beatles - Rubber Soul (65)
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (67)
Billy Joel - Stranger (77)
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (66)
Bob Marley - Exodus (77)
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge of Town (78)
Chess Blues (Box Set) - Various (92)
Chuck Berry - Definitive Collection. (04)
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory (70)
Disco Years Vol. 1-2 - Various (Rhino 90)
Eagles - Hotel California (76)
Electric Light Orchestra - New World Record (76)
Elvis Presley - From Elvis In Memphis (69)
Elvis Presley - Top Ten Hits (87)
Gary Stewart - Out of Hand (75)
Indestructible Beat of Soweto - Various (85)
Jackie Wilson - Very Best of (Rhino 64)
James Brown - 20 All-Time Greatest Hits (91)
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James (70)
Jerry Lee Lewis - 18 Original Sun Greatest Hits (84)
John Mellencamp - Scarecrow (85)
Keith Whitley - I Wonder Do You Think Of Me (89)
Lefty Frizzell - Look What Thoughts Will Do (97)
LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out (90)
Loretta Lynn - Writes 'Em and Sings 'Em (70)
Louvin Brothers - Tragic Songs of Life (56)
Love - Forever Changes (67)
Love Train: Sound of Philadelphia (Box Set) - Various (Legacy '08)
Lucinda Williams - s/t (88)
Luther Vandross - Night I Fell In Love (85)
Madonna - Like A Prayer (89)
Merle Haggard - Serving 190 Proof (79)
Moby Grape - s/t (67)
Neil Young - Comes A Time (78)
Pretenders - s/t (80)
Prince - Dirty Mind (80)
Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet (68)
Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - Anthology (02)
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (73)
Supremes - Anthology (01)
Teddy Pendergrass - TP (80)
Temptations - Anthology (95)
Tom T. Hall - In Search Of A Song  (71)
Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy (78)
Willie Nelson - Stardust (78)

Add to Technorati Favorites