Thursday, March 11, 2021

RIP Lou Ottens

Count me as one of those who had no idea that Lou Ottens existed.  But all music fans must salute him.  If the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame had any imagination, they would induct him in the Non-Performer category.  In 1963, Lou Ottens invented the cassette tape.  With this invention Ottens changed the way the music biz operated.  And he also helped invent the mixtape.  By my own recollection, the mixtape began to pick up speed in the early 80's, peaked in the 90's and was just about extinct when the Ipod appeared in 2001.  

My own personal experience with mixtapes began in the mid-80's when I would make tapes of songs from my collection for friends.  By the 90's I was making tapes for family, friends, co-workers.  All songs coming from my personal collection.  As cassettes began to disappear from cars, I then started making CD mixes for anyone who asked.  Oh, by the way Ottens helped invent the CD as well. 

The art of the mixtape didn't completely disappear with Ipods, Iphones or Spotify playlists.  Now there are websites devoted to them, a great book by Rob Sheffield called Love Is A Mix Tape and general nostalgic factor about making the perfect mix.  

This is the beauty of life.  In the background are anonymous people who are making our lives better in ways we may not realize until years later.  A major salute to Lou Ottens.  A genius who is no longer in the shadows.  Everyone now knows your name.  

Add to Technorati Favorites