Saturday, December 25, 2021

An Album/Song A Week: Elvis Presley - Elvis Sings The Wonderful World Of Christmas

 My final post in my Album/Song A week series had to be about Elvis Presley.  Growing up in the Lane household, Christmas was not the same unless we played Elvis' 2 Christmas albums. His first from 1957 and Wonderful World of Christmas,  released in 1971.  We kept this tradition going even after I moved out in my early 20's.  Folks, we are an Elvis family.  

  I should also point out that there were other albums that were a mainstay on my Dad's turntable during the Holidays.   Most were by Pop or Country singers from the 70's' As I got older and bought my own records I would bring over R&B albums to play.  Plus compilations like the first Very Special Christmas and Phil Spector's A Christmas Gift for You, along with some R&B compilations. But none of these topped the Elvis albums. 

 Talking about this Christmas album gives me a chance to refute another thing about Elvis that I read often.  That he didn't come up with any good studio albums in the 70's.  One of the problems with those albums is they were often patched together from various sessions. But there's enough good ones for new Elvis fans to check out.  I'd start with 1970's Elvis Country, 1972's He Touched Me, 1974's Promised Land & Good Times, 1975's Today, and half of 1977's Moody Blue. Also, the 70's concert albums that were released while he was alive are all worth checking out.  So, add this Christmas album to that mix as well. For the most part Elvis is in an inspired mood and knocks out some great Christmas songs especially the back-to-back "If I Get Home On Christmas Day" and "I'll Be Home On Christmas Day". But the standout track is the nearly 6 minute epic take on "Merry Christmas Baby", which features some of Elvis' bluesiest, dirtiest singing of the decade, and some down home gritty guitar playing courtesy of James Burton.

 Decades later I still play Wonderful World of Christmas during the Holidays. It's more than just a good Elvis album,  it takes me back to a more innocent time in my life.  Christmas with the Lane's.  Those were indeed wonderful days. 

Add to Technorati Favorites