Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Tom's Top 20 Rap Albums Of All Time

With August 1973 being designated as the birth of Rap, I'm reposting my own Top 20 favorite Rap albums that I originally posted in 2022. 

Time for another Rolling Stone list that no one will agree on.  In June they put out 200 Greatest Rap Albums which received mixed reviews from the rap community. Some of my own choices below didn't even make their list (PM Dawn, Grandmaster Flash).  For me the Golden Age of Rap was the 80's/90's.  Fifteen out of the twenty albums listed below come from those decades, and that includes the first rap compilation I ever bought.   

For this list I've kept it to one title per artist. And I steered clear of Greatest Hits albums, except for one DJ retrospective.  Compilations were also eligible. 

1.  LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out
2.  Run-DMC - Raising Hell
3.  Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
4.  De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
5.  A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
6.  Outkast - Stankonia
7.  Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full
8.  PM Dawn - Of The Heart, Of The Soul and of The Cross
9.  Queen Latifah - All Hail The Queen
10.  Hip Hop Greats: Classic Raps - Various (Rhino)
11.  DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
12.  Lauryn Hill - Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
13.  Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
14.  Digable Planets - Reachin'
15.  Nas - Illmatic
16.  Salt-N-Pepa - Hot, Cool & Vicious
17.  Madvillain - Madvillainy
18.  Steinski - What Does It All Mean?: Retrospective 1983-2006
19.  Jay-Z - Black Album
20.  Run The Jewels - RTJ4




Add to Technorati Favorites