Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Poll: January 1969 Top Songs

  January 1969, I'm just about 5 years old.  But I'm already starting to hear songs that I continue to love in 2023.   

 For this latest poll, 35 songs were picked to vote on.  The list below is in the order that the songs finished in popularity for that month.  For example, "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" was #1, "Showdown" #36. 

My own rankings are at the end of each title. Listen to this countdown at popgoldradio.com.


"I Heard It Through The Grapevine", Marvin Gaye : 1
"For Once In My Life", Stevie Wonder : 9
"I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", Diana Ross & the Supremes & the Temptations : 8
"Soulful Strut", Young-Holt Unlimited : 10
"Wichita Lineman", Glen Campbell : 2
"Cloud Nine", Temptations : 18
"Love Child", Diana Ross & the Supremes : 13
"Stormy", Classics IV : 16
"Who's Making Love?", Johnnie Taylor : 7
"Hooked On A Feeling", B.J. Thomas : 14
"I Love How You Love Me", Bobby Vinton : 35
"Cinnamon", Derek : 34
"Too Weak To Fight", Clarence Carter : 27
"Lo Mucho Que Te Quiero (The More I Love You)", Rene & Rene : 36
"Going Up The Country", Canned Heat : 17
"Abraham, Martin And John", Dion : 11
"Crimson And Clover", Tommy James & the Shondells : 12
"Son-Of-A Preacher Man", Dusty Springfield : 3
"Bring It On Home To Me", Eddie Floyd : 25
"See Saw", Aretha Franklin : 24
"If I Can Dream", Elvis Presley : 4
"Touch Me", Doors : 28
"I Started A Joke", Bee Gees : 19
"Worst That Could Happen", Brooklyn Bridge : 22
"Everyday People", Sly & the Family Stone : 6
"Can I Change My Mind", Tyrone Davis : 21
"Hang 'Em High", Booker T. & the M.G.'s : 23
"Both Sides Now", Judy Collins : 5
"Bella Linda", Grass Roots : 31
"You Showed Me", Turtles : 20
"Build Me Up Buttercup", Foundations : 15
"Chewy Chewy", Ohio Express : 29
"I'm Livin' In Shame", Diana Ross & the Supremes : 32
"I've Gotta Be Me", Sammy Davis, Jr. : 26
"This Magic Moment", Jay & the Americans : 33
"(There's Gonna Be A) Showdown", Archie Bell & the Drells : 30


Add to Technorati Favorites