Friday, May 26, 2023

Poll: May 1963 Songs

May 1963. One year before I was born.  About a 1/3 of these songs I had to go back and listen to, as I was unfamiliar with them.  Early 60's a big time for the Girl Group sound, as my #1 pick is a classic of the genre.   

For this latest poll, 40 songs were picked to vote on.  My own rankings are at the end of each title. Listen to this countdown at popgoldradio.com.

"Da Doo Ron Ron (When He Walked Me Home)", Crystals : 1
"On Broadway", Drifters : 2
"It's My Party", Lesley Gore : 3
"Baby Workout", Jackie Wilson : 4
"Surfin' U.S.A.", Beach Boys : 5
"He's So Fine", Chiffons : 6
"Pipeline", Chantay's : 7
"I Will Follow Him", Little Peggy March : 8
"Watermelon Man", Mongo Santamaria : 9
"Another Saturday Night", Sam Cooke : 10
"El Watusi", Ray Barretto Y Su Charanga Moderna : 11
"Come And Get These Memories", Martha & the Vandellas : 12
"If You Need Me", Wilson Pickett : 13
"Don't Say Nothin' Bad (About My Baby)", Cookies : 14
"Hello Stranger", Barbara Lewis : 15
"Puff (The Magic Dragon)", Peter, Paul & Mary : 16
"Can't Get Used To Losing You", Andy Williams : 17
"You Can't Sit Down", Dovells : 18
"Still", Bill Anderson : 19
"Sukiyaki", Kyu Sakamoto : 20
"Easier Said Than Done", Essex : 21
"Take These Chains From My Heart", Ray Charles : 22
"Two Faces Have I", Lou Christie : 23
"Reverend Mr. Black", Kingston Trio : 24
"If You Wanna Be Happy", Jimmy Soul : 25
"This Little Girl", Dion : 26
"Hot Pastrami", Dartells : 27
"I Love You Because", Al Martino : 28
"Mecca", Gene Pitney : 29
"Losing You", Brenda Lee : 30
"Charms", Bobby Vee : 31
"Foolish Little Girl", Shirelles : 32
"Tom Cat", Rooftop Singers : 33
"Killer Joe", Rocky Fellers : 34
"Young Lovers", Paul & Paula : 35
"Linda", Jan & Dean : 36
"Young And In Love", Dick & DeeDee : 37
"Till Then", Classics : 38
"Ain't That A Shame!", 4 Seasons : 39
"The Love Of My Man", Theola Kilgore : 40
Add to Technorati Favorites