Saturday, August 15, 2026

RIP Dave Marsh

  Dave Marsh was one of the first music critics who shaped my listening habits. I first noticed his name when I took out my first subscription to Rolling Stone magazine in the late 70's.  His column, American Grandstand, became a must read.    Then came his first book on Elvis Presley in 1982.  This was the first book on Elvis I read.  After that I purchased the first Rolling Stone record guide, which he edited,  as well as the Book of Rock Lists.  There were other books:  Springsteen, the Who.  
  The best of all was 1989's The Heart of Rock & Soul: 1001 Greatest Singles Ever Made.  It was his best book.  I also subscribed to his monthly Rock & Roll Confidential (later Rock & Rap Confidential), from the 80's through the 90's. 
  Marsh was fan of 70's R&B.  That's what made me a long time reader.  Spinners, Stylistics, Teddy Pendergrass.  Philly Soul especially.  His love of this era made him stand out against other critics from that era.  
  Marsh was one of the earliest members on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's nominating committee.   He championed many R&B acts while on the NomCom.  For me, most notably, was getting Joe Tex nominated five times.
 He was also a champion of human rights, civil rights and other progressive causes.  Again, another reason I read him.  
  And I can't forget the weekly show he had on SiriusXM, Kick Out the Jams.  Essential listening.  He hosted other show on SiriusXM too.  
  As with any critic, be it movies, television or whatever, I didn't agree with every opinion by Marsh.  But more often than not he opened my ears to artists and records that I would have never heard. 
  
  Back in 2006 I came up with the idea for a Music Critics Hall of Fame.  But it wasn't until 2019 that I actually published it.  I updated it in 2021 (Music Critics Hall of Fame) The thought was music critics might get into the Rock Hall someday.  That hasn't happened and probably never will.  But it was fun recognizing some of the great music critics of yesterday.  
  Of course Dave Marsh would be a first time inductee into any critics hall of fame.  One of music's first and influential critics.  
Add to Technorati Favorites