Saturday, August 26, 2006

A Crumbling Tower

I used to make a monthly pilgrimage to Tower Records. The nearest store was an hour's drive, but that was a cinch on a Sunday morning. For me, Tower was the place to stock up on catalog titles. This was pre-Internet and their were no Border's or Circuit City's-hell, basically anything in this town. It was either Tower or mail-order catalogs. Tower Records was one of the first stores I remember being in. I subscribed to their Pulse magazine, before they axed it. But eventually reality set in for them. The Costco's, Target's and Wal-Mart's of the world priced their stuff lower. And I began to notice that Tower never did. For me, it's high prices were the end of my monthly trips. I always felt bad about it. Eventually, we got a Border's and all those other stores, and I rarely think about Tower anymore. Now that it's on it last legsTower Records files for bankruptcy again , I've only begun to think about it. Tower and Border's (who I believe will one day vastly reduce their own catalog titles) are too pricey for today's consumer. Why pay more when I can walk a few feet and get it for a lot less. Or find it cheaper online. Now that I think about it, I do remember the first LP I bought there: The Isley Brothers Go For Your Guns in the Summer of 1977.
Add to Technorati Favorites