Saturday, September 23, 2006

Does Every Artist With A Long Career Have These?

I call 'em the albums that only the die-hards remember. It was while listening to Tom Petty's latest album that I looked up his catalog in Joel Whitburn's Top Albums book and noticed that before Full Moon Fever came Let Me Up from 1987. My memory of the album is that it was pretty good and it did squeeze out a Top 20 single, "Jammin' Me". But even that song isn't on Petty's first Greatest Hits album. This got me thinking of one of my favorite Eric Clapton albums, Money and Cigarettes from 1983, the only studio album from the 80's forward of Clapton's that didn't go gold. And it too spawned a Top 20 single, "I've Got A Rock N' Roll Heart." That song has never appeared on one of his Hits' albums. Clapton's next album went platinum.

Here's some other albums that only fantatics remember, that were followed by bigger albums:
Paul Simon - Hearts and Bones (not gold) then Graceland
Stevie Wonder - Secret Life of Plants (not gold) then Hotter Than July
Bob Dylan - Good As I Been To You and World Gone Wrong (not gold) then Time Out Of Mind

There's more but being a fan means remembering things most people never knew existed.

There's more
Add to Technorati Favorites