Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Where's The 2007 Elliot Yamin?

Yes, I watch American Idol and have been from the first season. Make no mistake, without Simon Cowell the show would be as anonymous as any other reality TV fare. This year's version, talent wise isn't up to snuff. I hear only a token few that will get record deals or make any sort of impression on the record buying public. The harsh truth is that most of these singers won't sell many records even if they finish first or second. Just because 25 million people watch you every week doesn't mean that a percentage of that audience will buy your CD. Last year half of the idol's Top 10 got deals and made some sort of chart (Country, Pop, Rock). This year only Lakisha and Melinda have a chance, with Jordin and Blake outside shots. But what do I know. Last year my favorite idol was Elliot Yamin, and he got no deal when he left the show. Eventually, he go signed, and his debut album turns out to better than Taylor and Katherine's. Signing to a small label, away from Idol management helped him. This year, I've yet to find anyone that I'm rooting for. It's still early, but the Pop fan in me should have an idea of who to back by now. Like I said the 2007 edition of Idol just isn't strong. But Cowell is still worth my trouble.
Add to Technorati Favorites