Sunday, January 13, 2008

Books vs. Music

I've often wondered if the Book industry is in the same boat as the Music. Books, like CD's are expensive. I had great ideas of buying new ones with Christmas gift cards, but came away wondering who would pay $20 for a hardback, and $15 for most non mass-market paperbacks. There's a lot I want to read, but with CD's eating in to the budget, books become a secondary buy. Even the used pickings on Amazon.com can run you $10 with shipping. I'm guessing the Book market survives better than the Music one because it caters to an older crowd. They are the ones buying the expensive hardback titles, while the music industry courts the kids who won't pay $15 bucks. So, we are happy for the used market in both areas, and for cutouts and for places like Costco which mark down books ( but not CD's, surprise). Yet, when I walk around Borders I wonder who's buying all this stuff.
Add to Technorati Favorites