Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Testing My Rock Crit Credentials

I recently played ELP's 1978 Works Vol. 2. It's been reissued, but don't tell anyone. I don't want to get my Rock Crit credentials revoked. Oh, and on PBS I watched a James Taylor special. And this week I also spinned the latest Michael McDonald CD, Soul Speak. All of these reasons could get my license stripped. But I don't care. ELP were part of a promo package, and that odds and sods volume has always interested me, although I admit I was never a big fan. It's funny to think that Blender (I think) picked them as worst band ever. A lot of critics blame JT for the wimpy singer-songwriter era of the 70's. And McDonald isn't thought of much today, no matter how brilliant "What A Fool Believes" is. Now he's a cover artist, but his latest has a few good new songs sprinkled. But it's easier to sell covers to McDonald's fan base.
Add to Technorati Favorites