Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Rock Crit Anthologies

I'm a sucker for anthology books by rock critics. I'm thinking of the ones by Lester Bangs, Richard Meltzer, Nick Tosches, Robert Christgau, etc. Two new ones I've added to that list are Luc Sante's Kill All Your Darlings (Yeti) and Mitch Myers' The Boy Who Cried Freebird (Harper). I have to admit that I've not heard of either of these two writers. I'm sure I've read their stuff in the magazines and newspapers they write for, but the names didn't ring a bell. Sante isn't really a music critic. He does art, book and movie reviews. But his essay on the blues is the best since Robert Palmer wrote Deep Blues. Makes me wish their were more music stuff in his collection, but he has a keen pen for all the things he sees. Myers is more observer than critic. There aren't a lot of criticism's in his book. In fact some of these pieces are music fiction. There's a great chapter on Doug Sahm and his "Requiem For A Cowbell" is now part of rock crit lit history. They may not be household names for music nuts like me who think they have all the Rock critics memorized, but it's good to add two more names to the list.
Add to Technorati Favorites