Saturday, May 17, 2008

Mixing It Up

Rob Sheffield's Love Is A Mixtape is both a love story to his deceased wife and a love story to a recurring hobby. You can't make good mixtape's on CD. Cassettes were what made the mixtape famous. Now people put their own mixes on their Ipod, but the C-90 or C-60 was king with me. In the 80's, I made more of these tapes then I can remember. I'd put anything that would come to mind on a tape, and all genres. Last year I got rid of most of these tapes. I didn't have to listen to them, and most of the tapes had worn down. But when I looked at them they brought back lots of memories. Sheffield's book chronicles his marriage and her sudden death through the eyes of the tapes they made for each other. Like him, I can hear an old song and know exactly why it meant something in my life. Music does that to you. Whether you now mix it up on CD, Ipod or still make 'em on cassettes. You're making instant memories, and a lifetime of musical ones.
Add to Technorati Favorites