Friday, June 06, 2008

Fooling Themselves

Whenever I go in to Borders to buy a magazine, I go to the CD section and am always depressed. Not because it's not stocked with stuff you can't get at Best Buy or Circuit City, but because the CD prices are too high. Which makes me think that one day Borders will go the way of those two stores and only stock greatest hits albums and new releases by select artists. Who would buy a catalog Country title for $18.98? But that's the price I saw on many releases. This is 2008 and if you're not downloading then you're going online to buy used product. In my Amazon.com cart I've got about 15 titles that I'm waiting to buy used, when the price is right. At Borders the latest releases by Usher and Madonna were "sale priced" at $14.99. Admittedly, the clientele at Borders is supposed to be less bargain oriented then the one who goes to Target, but music stores and the industry is playing themselves for fools if they think that people don't price hunt, even for one CD.
Add to Technorati Favorites