Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Tokin'

I'm listening to the eclectic Gonzo soundtrack, and btw did you know that Hunter S. Thompson like Jo Stafford, "You Sexy Thing" and "Doing It To Death?", well the music to the documentary isn't completely as scattered as Thompson's writing but it streams well for a movie collection. Anyway, a song I've had in my head since childhood comes on and reminds me that the song will never go away, and I'm glad. "One Toke Over The Line" which could only have been a hit in the early 70's (what did the censors think "Toke" meant?). Living in Germany at the time with few radio stations you often heard the same things over and over, and that song was one of them. It has stayed with me, so much that I bought Brewer & Shipley's greatest hits CD and the album that the song was taken from. Just when I've forgotten about it, KPIG or some radio station will play it, and the memories come back. Well, no, not "tokin'" ones like B&S mean but you get the drift. Brewer & Shipley never had another hit, but the rest of their stuff was just as hummable. But their one song is in my own personal Hall of Fame.
Add to Technorati Favorites