Monday, November 01, 2010

2011 Rock Hall Predictions

Next month the Rock Hall will announce their latest inductees. Most likely they will stick with 5 names, but for my predictions below I'll add 3, just in case.

Once again, these are my predictions, not my picks.

Neil Diamond - My only sure shot among this years nominees. How foolish will the Hall look after keeping Diamond out for so long, that he could get in on his first time nominated?

Donna Summer - The Committee wants a Disco act in, but which ones will the voters eventually pick? Although Nile Rodgers has serious musician cred, I'm going with Summer slightly over Chic.

Dr. John - This could catch people by surprise, and I'm not seeing him mentioned in many other prediction posts. Dr. John has been making records since the late 60's, and has played with tons of musicians, that might be enough.

Alice Cooper - Like Diamond, this nom has been a long time coming. I believe he took KISS's slot this year in the Rock category. The only thing that could hurt him is that his output since the late 70's has been mostly forgettable. I'm tempted to think that this could be a shoo-in for Cooper, but then I think of how the Hall voters bypassed KISS and didn't induct AC/DC first time on the ballot.

Tom Waits - A big crit and artist fave, he has the 2nd best shot of getting in, behind Diamond.

Alternates:

Beastie Boys - Of the 2 Rap acts, the Beasties have the best shot this year.

Laura Nyro - I don't know why the Hall wants her in so badly. But now on her 2nd try she could sneak in, thanks to a big vote from the critic delegation.

Chic - Forever nominated, this is their 6th. If it's not Donna Summer, then Chic will get the Disco vote.

Bon Jovi - Too popular to ignore?


Add to Technorati Favorites