Saturday, January 01, 2011

Guitar Hell

So, what was the worst album I heard in 2010. Thought I'd start the new year off by getting rid of the one I hated the most from the previous one.

The loser is Santana's Guitar Heaven. In which Carlos, with the help of Clive Davis, gives us dreadful paint-by-number reinditions of well-worn standards. Cream, Beatles, Led Zep, Van Halen, Def Leppard. All rendered as if Carlos and his group were now the house band on American Idol.

Here's the deal for older artists who sign up with Clive. Don't expect to do anything but covers and duet albums. As someone who has a soft spot for covers, I don't mind. But when the final result is this, then I run for the hills.
Clive doesn't believe vets can sell albums with new music. He may have a point, because Clive is about selling copies. And Santana and Rod Stewart are happy to go along.
But this time I'll pass.
Add to Technorati Favorites