Friday, February 10, 2012

Rock Hall "Scoopgate" Update

"Scoopgate" lives, but it's coming to an end.  After reading my blog post, Todd Mesek did email me.  And I thank him for keeping his word, although posting on his Facebook page was probably what did it.  Regardless.   But it was interesting what he wrote to me.  Todd said my initial "scoop" post was incomplete and that releasing partial info was the same as putting out incorrect info.


I kindly disagree Sir.  My information may not have been complete, BUT it was accurate.  All I posted was that I had info on 3 names.  In the end, I knew I would be right.  The source was too strong.  I was right, the source was right and the 3 names were inducted.  As I knew they would be.  


And besides, had the Hall not inducted those 3 names, I would have went higher (Plains Dealer perhaps) with my story, and it would have been about how these groups got screwed.  I'm glad that never happened.   


But it was not incorrect information that I posted.  And Todd & Co. knew that.  


I know some of you who write for magazines or newspapers or website blogs might think Todd has a point.  But in my defense, I did check and double check with my source.                                                    


Hell, if I wasn't right, then why would they contact me?


I should say that some things the Hall tries to keep secret are comical.  And Joel Peresman needs to know this as well.  Keeping the NomCom members names from the public is foolish, when we already know 99% of these names.  In the last 2 years, I've found 2 of these names.  By accident of course  (ha, ha).   And when some of these people have already come forward and defied whatever rule of silence is shown them (despite Joel telling Eddie Trunk there is no such thing), and talk about their NomCom experience, then my favorite word has to be used again: silly.


Did you know that the names of all the voters for the Baseball and Football Hall of Fame can be easily found.  


I'm also worried about hiding the final vote totals from the public.  Like any Hall of Fame, these should be revealed, if you want to avoid any whispers of conspiracy, which crop up every year.


And I also think you need to have an outsider's perspective at these yearly NomCom meetings.  While all of the NomCom people may be "fans" of music,  having someone sit in and then report on what they hear would open up the Hall's inner workings and shed a better light on what goes on at these meetings.  No wonder the Eddie Trunk's of the world get so worked up.  They don't know what's going on at these meetings.  Joel can disagree, but the vow of silence is a joke.  And, what the hell, I do indeed nominate me for this job.  



Add to Technorati Favorites