Friday, April 13, 2012

Mild Peppers

One day away from the Rock Hall Induction Ceremony, and yes, I'm still not happy that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are getting inducted.  To me they are a minor blip in the vast World of Music History.
In fact there are tons of 80's bands that were more influential and made better records than them:  Smiths, Cure, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran spring to mind.

Oh, I get it, they married funk with rock.  Were they the first?  The answer is no.  In fact I'll take Fishbone over them anyday.  Or Frank Zappa's late 70's albums or any of the various off-shoots from the P-Funk family.

But the Peppers have the longevity and the hits.  And Jann & Rolling Stone loved them.  So they go in.  I'll live.  I'll have to move on.  But when people ask me who shouldn't be in the Rock Hall, I now have another name to add to the list.
Add to Technorati Favorites