Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Elvis at 78

Today would have been Elvis Presley's 78th Birthday.  I thought I'd give Sony credit for continuing to pump out reissues of Elvis' back catalog, even if mega-fans like me have almost everything they've dug up.
Last year came a reissue of the 1972 Madison Square Concerts.  Both evening and afternoon shows are already in my collection as separate CD's.  This time Sony baited collector's with a fan's handheld camera footage of one of the shows.

The most important thing they can do now is keep Elvis' catalog up to date with the digital age.  So, why do they keep putting out these expansive reissues?  Because older folks still buy physical copies of music.  The balancing act will be for Sony to couple that fact with today's on demand crowd.

But anything to keep interest in his music will be alright with me.
Add to Technorati Favorites