Friday, January 10, 2014

Streaming 2014

So, I realize that I haven't listened to all the Donny Hathaway studio albums after all.  I go on Rhapsody and Spotify and neither one has 1973's Extension of A Man.  Puzzling because they have everything else.  So, I decide to Google the album and a full stream comes up on You Tube.  Free listening.  But why wasn't it available on the streaming sites?  Oh well, streamed it on You Tube. In fact, until You Tube starts charging for these things, I would suggest you try them first (if you're not a Spotify or Rhapsody subscriber) for full album streams.

What I'm trying to say is that this is what 2014 and beyond is going to be like.  We want what we want and at the click of our mouse.  There are complaints that Billboard is calculating streams of songs on You Tube into their weekly chart rankings.  But I say it's about time. Even though I subscribe to Spotify, I still go to You Tube when I want to hear (or see) a song.  Like I said.  Only the dinosaurs are whining about what is happening to today's streaming world.  Garth Brooks won't put his songs on Itunes because he's rich and doesn't need the money.  Not over some price or any thought that his music needs to be heard as a whole album.
Add to Technorati Favorites