Sunday, April 24, 2016

"When Doves Cry"

"When Doves Cry" was iconic they moment it was released.  There simply wasn't anything out there before or after.  It's a Rock song, with funk elements.  In order to appreciate it, you have to devour the nearly 7 minute Purple Rain version (skip the truncated single version).

I first heard it when driving home from work, listening to my local Top 40 station.  The DJ announced it as Prince's brand new song.  The opening guitar riff had me intrigued, and then it took off.  What is this and when can I hear it again?  It was the first single off of Purple Rain.  Neither the film or album had been released.  So, this was our first look at what Prince had been up to since 1999 made him an MTV and Top 40 fixture.

Again, some songs announce themselves the moment you listen.  "Stayin' Alive" is another example.  I know people have other favorites off of Purple Rain, but I've never gotten over the initial thrill of "When Doves Cry".  I think it's Prince's ultimate masterpiece.
Add to Technorati Favorites