Sunday, June 11, 2017

Adam West & Nostalgia

"Stop wallowing in nostalgia" a friend always tells me.  But as I've moved past the age of 50 (now 53),  "looking back" has become a normal routine.  The deaths of Prince, George Michael and other musical faves in 2016 had an affect on my psyche.  Don't get me wrong, I don't curl up in a corner and cry out for better days.  But things happen in life that makes you pause at simpler times.

Adam West's death on June 9th is one of those "nostalgia" moments for many people my age and older.  One of the first TV programs I remember watching was Batman.  It ran from 1966-68, when I was 2-4 years old.  You can add Rat Patrol, Star Trek, Lost In SpaceMonkees and the animated Spider-Man as other shows that my young self would watch.  I have a better memory of TV shows back then more than what songs were on.  But count "Whiter Shade of Pale", "Eight Days A Week", "Daydream Believer" and "These Eyes" near the top of my childhood first song memory list.  When it came to these songs and TV shows, what I remember comes from whatever my older (by 5 years) sister was watching or playing on her turntable.  And you better believe it, I had a Hot Wheels Batmobile too.  I have to come clean here though.  Once the animated Spider-Man came on in the late 60's, I became a Spidey nut.  Even dressed up as him one Halloween.

But back to Batman.  People today, spoiled by years of action hero movies with their incredible special effects, might look at the Adam West series as corny and cheesy.  But to a young child in the mid-60's it was pretty spectacular.  And to be honest I'll take the 1966 Batman movie over many of the over-produced ones that came out in the 90's.

There's no avoiding nostalgia because magazine and websites love to celebrate it.  The Summer of 2017 bring with us the 50th anniversary of the Monterey Pop Festival, Sgt. Pepper and the 40th of Elvis Presley's death.  Chris Cornell's passing brought the 90's back in to view.  Music websites celebrate a record's birth regardless if it's hit the 20, 30 or 40 year mark.  I've seen ones that pick odd years like 17 or 29.  The never-ending argument or whether music was better "back then" or if there's just too much of it today has a lot to do with all of this.

And why not?  If remembering a great moment in your life is triggered by a movie, album, song or TV show, then look back and enjoy.  I continue to move forward with my life, but have no problem thinking of a quieter Summer, Holiday Season, etc.
Add to Technorati Favorites