Friday, July 05, 2019

RIP MAD Magazine

Like many, especially teenagers in the 70's, the death of a monthly MAD magazine (except for planned end-of-year issues)  brought me back to that decade when I couldn't wait to read each issue.  It also made me realize that, also like many of its former avid readers, I haven't read an issue in years.

The magazine's ending also gives many a chance to marvel at just how popular it was during its peak in the 60's/70's.  After the 70's, it began a circulation decline.  No longer a teenager, I only glanced at any new issue I'd see in the bookstore.  Not that I gave up on satiric magazines.  Spy magazine, which ran from 86-98 was an often brilliant continuation of what MAD had started.  And who can forget National Lampoon, which hit its highs in the 70's, before dying in 1998?

But none of these had the cultural impact or longevity that MAD had.  To see that it's folding as a monthly is not surprising.  Satiric comics can now be found easy online.

And, yes to sound like an old man, kids today are missing out on what every new issue of MAD did for those of us who grew up with it.  How many hands did an issue go through before it was trashed?  This was a magazine to pass around and share.  You know, things kids and teenagers liked to do.

So, go ahead and click away to find your favorite satiric websites.  I think I'll go pick up one of MAD's last issues.  We should always embrace our favorite nostalgic moments.
Add to Technorati Favorites