Monday, April 05, 2021

An Album/Song A Week: "I Only Have Eyes For You" - Flamingos

Once a month I would drive to Tower Records.  The nearest one was an hour and change away.  I usually did this on a weekend.  One Saturday, I decided to go after work in the evening.  Flipping through the radio dials, I came across Wolfman Jack's Syndicated Oldies station.  One of the songs I heard one night was "I Only Have Eyes For You" by the Flamingos.  I knew the song.  Remembered it mostly because it appeared in American Graffiti.  But on this night it sounded different.  It was ethereal.  The Flamingos magical harmonies against the night sky made for the perfect late night love ballad.  

The Flamingos were one of the first and best Doo Wop groups.  Their first R&B chart records coming in 1953.  "I Only Have Eyes For You" would turn out to be their biggest hit.  Reaching #11 on the Pop charts and #3 on the R&B one.  They were inducted into the Rock Hall in 2001.  Their catalog contains many gems that should have been bigger hits.  But their masterpiece remains "I Only Have Eyes For You". To this day I tell people that it's the greatest nighttime song ever.  
Add to Technorati Favorites