Sunday, July 04, 2021

50 Years of Philadelphia International Records (My Top 50 P.I.R. Songs)

2021 marks the 50th anniversary of the first release by Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff's Philadelphia International Records label.  The first album released in 1971 was by Billy Paul called Going East.  Gamble & Huff were around before PIR launched.  They wrote and produced many hits before PIR.  But it is at PIR that they became legends.  Along with many other songwriters, producers, arrangers, PIR became one of the premiere R&B labels of the 70's/80's. The last PIR album came out in 1998.  

So, here's a list of my 50 favorite PIR songs.  As a child of 70's AM Top 40, my picks tend toward the more obvious.  But I've sprinkled in some lost gems and album cuts as well.  

1.  Billy Paul - Me & Mrs. Jones
2.  Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now
3.  O'Jays - Back Stabbers
4.  Three Degrees - When Will I See You Again
5.  McFadden & Whitehead - Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now
6.  Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody
7.  O'Jays - Love Train
8.  Teddy Pendergrass - Close The Door
9.  Lou Rawls - You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine
10. MFSB & Three Degrees - TSOP
11. Patti LaBelle - If Only You Knew
12. Jacksons - Enjoy Yourself
13. Intruders - I'll Always Love My Mama
14. Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Love I Lost
15. Teddy Pendergrass - Love T.K.O.
16. O'Jays - For The Love Of Money
17. Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Bad Luck
18. Jacksons - Show You The Way To Go
19. Lou Rawls - Lady Love
20. Dexter Wansel & Jean Carn - Sweetest Pain
21. O'Jays - Use Ta Be My Girl
22. Jones Girls - You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else
23. Phyllis Hyman - Old Friend
24. Teddy Pendergrass & Stephanie Mills - Is It Still Good To Ya?
25. O'Jays - I Love Music
26. Jean Carn - Don't Let It Go To Your Head
27. Patti LaBelle - Love, Need and Want You
28. Teddy Pendergrass - Turn Off The Lights
29. O'Jays - Now That We Found Love
30. People's Choice - Do It Any Way You Wanna
31. Billy Paul - Am I Black Enough For You?
32. Phyllis Hyman - Living All Alone
33. Intruders - I Wanna Know Your Name
34. Shirley Jones - Do You Get Enough Love
35. O'Jays - Stairway to Heaven
36. Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - I Miss You
37. Jones Girls - Who Can I Run To
38. Philadelphia International All-Stars - Let's Clean Up The Ghetto
39. O'Jays - Sunshine
40. MFSB - K-Jee
41. Dee Dee Sharp - Nobody Could Ever Take Your Place
42. Teddy Pendergrass - When Somebody Loves You Back
43. O'Jays - Lovin' You
44. Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes w/Sharon Paige - Hope That We Can Be Together Soon
45. Ebonys - It's Forever
46. Teddy Pendergrass - I Don't Love You Anymore
47. Jones Girls - Nights Over Egypt
48. Jerry Butler - Cooling Out
49. McFadden & Whitehead - Love Song Number 690
50. MFSB & Three Degrees - Love Is The Message
Add to Technorati Favorites