Monday, October 25, 2021

20 Years of the Ipod

I wrote the below post in September 2014, when Apple announced it was discontinuing the Ipod Classic. On October 23, 2001, the first Ipod was released.  Twenty years later I still have mine and it works like brand new.  I also have 2 other Ipod models that were released later.  I was wrong about one thing in my original post, Apple is still making the Ipod Touch.  And you can find all kinds of past models online.  But nothing beats the thrill of loading up that original Ipod, hitting shuffle (which was the #1 draw for me and others), making playlists, hitting the play button and getting hours of my favorite songs commercial free. 

Apple announced 2 weeks ago it was discontinuing the Ipod Classic.  I still have mine.  A 20GB one that holds just under 4000 songs.  What I have on it are the cream of my music collection.  In other words, the best Elvis Presley songs, not all Elvis Presley songs.

But while I still played the Ipod, I didn't use it as often.  In fact, I rarely took any songs off it.  The last time I made a major change on it was 3 years ago.  So, I'll probably have to get a Nano or Touch to add all the good songs that I've missed in the last 3 years.

The Ipod came out in October 2001, and I think I bought mine for Christmas.  Remember the Ipod Mini?  Yeah, I had one of those as well, but sold it years ago.  With Iphones able to do what the Ipod could do, Apple didn't see a need to keep it around.

Eventually, they'll close down all things Ipod. But I'll never get rid of mine.  It's still a thrill to hit the old Shuffle Songs option and be amazed at what's going to come up.  That's what made the Ipod the legend it was.  Some people made Playlists, but I never did.  It was all about the Shuffle.

There were some sad posts about the death of the IClassic.  But mine is still alive.  Still handy whenever I need a fix.  4000 songs strong.  Just waitin' to be shuffled.

Add to Technorati Favorites