Monday, August 15, 2022

Music List A Month (August): Favorite Philly Soul Songs

 Having been a guest on Nick Bambach's  podcast talking about the Spinners, it was only inevitable that I do a list on Philly Soul. I've been a TSOP fan since it first hit the Top 40 in the late 60's.  But I really became an obsessive listener around 1974, which was the big breakthrough year for Philly Soul.  Number one crossover hits from the Spinners, MFSB, Barry White, as well as huge records by Blue Magic and the Stylistics. 

 So what is Philly Soul? Coming from Kenny Gamble/Leon Huff/Thom Bell, TSOP distinguished itself from Motown and Stax by its lush orchestration.  Blending Pop, Disco, Quiet Storm. I always say it wasn't as gritty as Stax, nor as pop-leaning as Motown.  Berry Gordy's vision was to bring Motown to the world.

 In coming up with this list, I've tried to narrow my choices to the most essential records.  The bulk of this is from the 70's. And I’ve also included some songs that are tributes to the Philly Sound. 

Barry White - Can’t Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe
Barry White - I’m Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby
Barry White - Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up
Barry White - You're The First, You’re The Last, My Everything
Bell & James - Livin' It Up (Friday Night)
Billy Paul - Am I Black Enough For You?
Billy Paul - Me & Mrs. Jones
Blue Magic - Sideshow
Daryl Hall & John Oates - One On One
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Out of Touch
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Rich Girl
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Sara Smile
Daryl Hall & John Oates - She's Gone
David Bowie - Young Americans
Deniece Williams - It's Gonna Take A Miracle
Deniece Williams - Silly
Delfonics - Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)
Delfonics - Hey Love
Delfonics - La-La Means I Love You
Dexter Wansel - Sweetest Pain
Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love
Elton John - Philadelphia Freedom
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Bad Luck
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes/Sharon Paige - Hope That We Can Get Together Soon
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - I Miss You
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Love I Lost
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody
Hues Corporation - Rock The Boat
Intruders - Cowboys to Girls
Intruders - I Wanna Know Your Name
Intruders - I'll Always Love My Mama
Jacksons - Enjoy Yourself
Jacksons - Show You The Way To Go
Jean Carne - Don't Let It Go To Your Head
Jerry Butler - Never Give You Up 
Jerry Butler - Only The Strong Survive
Joe Simon - Drowning In The Sea Of Love
Jones Girls - Nights Over Egypt
Jones Girls - You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else
Lenny Kravitz - It Ain't Over, 'Til It's Over 
Lou Rawls - Lady Love
Lou Rawls - You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine
Manhattans - Kiss and Say Goodbye
Manhattans - Shining Star
McFadden & Whitehead - Ain't No Stopping Us Now
MFSB - TSOP
New York City - I’m Doin’ Fine Now
O'Jays - Back Stabbers
O'Jays - For The Love Of Money
O'Jays - I Love Music
O'Jays - Love Train
O'Jays - Lovin' You
O'Jays - Use Ta Be My Girl 
Patti LaBelle - If Only You Knew
Patti LaBelle - Love, Need and Want You
Pasadenas - Tribute (Right On)
People's Choice - Do It Any Way You Wanna
Phyllis Hyman - Living All Alone
Phyllis Hyman - Old Friend
Silk Sonic - Leave The Door Open 
Soul Survivors - Express (To Your Heart)
Spinners - Could It Be I'm Falling In Love
Spinners - Games People Play
Spinners - I'll Be Around
Spinners - Mighty Love
Spinners - Rubberband Man
Spinners & Dionne Warwick - Then Came You
Stylistics - Betcha By Golly Wow
Stylistics - Break Up To Make Up
Stylistics - I'm Stone In Love With You
Stylistics - You Are Everything
Stylistics - You Make Me Feel Brand New
Teddy Pendergrass - Close The Door
Teddy Pendergrass - Come Go With Me
Teddy Pendergrass - I Don't Love You Anymore
Teddy Pendergrass - Love TKO
Teddy Pendergrass - Turn Off The Lights
Teddy Pendergrass  - When Somebody Loves You Back
Teddy Pendergrass & Stephanie Mills - Feel The Fire
Three Degrees - When Will I See You Again
William DeVaughn - Be Thankful For What You Got
Wilson Pickett - Don't Let The Green Grass Fool You





Add to Technorati Favorites