RIP Dolly Parton
Back in 2023, I published a list of the 100 Most Loved, Living Musicians And it was a real toss-up at #1 between Paul McCartney and Dolly Parton. Ultimately Dolly came in at #2.
This what I wrote:
“ Thanks to her philanthropy she has become known as Saint Dolly. Not just confined to the Country genre, she long ago became an icon known throughout the world.”
I first heard Dolly Parton in the early 70’s because my Dad listened to Country radio a lot in that time. And because he was an Army soldier stationed in Fort Bragg, NC in the 60’s/early 70’s, I went to my Country music shows. Sadly, I was too young to remember the shows. But I do remember being there. My Dad said we went and saw Haggard, Pride, Jones, Wynette, Lynn and Porter and Dolly.
My favorite era of Dolly’s remains the pre-crossover years from the late 60’s to mid-70’s. Some of her most authentic recordings came from these years. This is what made her a genius. Especially “Coat of Many Colors”.
But Dolly was always destined to be bigger than just a Country star. And crossing over to the Pop charts was only a matter of time by the late 70’s. She was no dumb blonde. A savvy business woman who knew how to market her brand. Remember, Dolly grew up poor. Her ambition was to always break free of whatever restraints weren’t her way.
Not only an incredible musician/singer/songwriter, she was also one of our greatest humanitarians. It’s why always said she was one of the most beloved people in the world.
This is a good time to dig into Dolly’s recorded legacy. Start at the beginning. Check out the Porter duets. All her albums prior to her 1077 Pop chart breakthrough. The 1987 Trio album she made with Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris. Check out her 90’s bluegrass records. And her “Rock” record from 2023 that celebrated her much deserved induction into the Rock Hall. Take it all in. Her movies too. She was a singular artist. A genius.


<< Home