Sunday, March 26, 2006

Glimmers Of Hope From Elvis 1976

My Dad was at a record shop in Germany and bought an Elvis CD called One Night In Alabama. He gave it to me to add to my Elvis collection. I thought it was a Follow That Dream release (the internet only mail order BMG run Elvis CD store that specializes in releasing archival material). But it wasn't. It turns out to be a typical Elvis concert from his last years. This from August 1976. I've got a FTD CD called New Year's Eve which was from 1976, and the track list is similar. Here we have Elvis giving half-hearted reenditions of his big hits, going through the motions on covers of others and trying to stay awake during band intros. So why do I care? Because like all of music's great creations, even Elvis at his worst will give me moments of genius. Half through "I Got A Woman", the band finds a groove and Elvis wakes up with them. And on a typically over-the-top "Hurt", he outdoes his album version. Hints of what might have been, had he not given up on life. 29 years later we still can't give up on him.
Add to Technorati Favorites