Saturday, August 26, 2006

I Never Liked Nick Drake

I usually don't get off on the hushed musings of singer-songwriters. Nick Drake never did anything for me and Iron & Wine's Sam Beam has moments but not for an entire album. So why have I latched on to Ray Lamontagne. His debut mined early Elton John with Cat Stevens and subtle hints of modern day indie singer songwriters. It was good. But the followup, Till The Sun Turns Black is better. Lamontagne has a soul side to him. A couple of songs show hints of it, and "Three More Days" should be covered by someone someday. I wish he'd explore it more. The rest of the album finds him sticking to the debut's formula. And I agree with those that say his words aren't his strongest suit. There's the usual relationships gone bad stuff here. But for now he's my favorite newbie singer-songwriter.
Add to Technorati Favorites