Saturday, October 11, 2008

Rock Hall's Turnover Problem

I've been thinking about blogging about this for awhile, so thanks Julien Peter Benney for the email that reminded me about the big problem with the RRHOF. It's the turnover at the Nominating Committee. Or I should say, lack of turnover. How to get a new set of eyes and ears so acts that are languishing on the NC's table get a nomination? Add new people with fresh ideas every year, and rotate names in and out of the yearly nominating committee meeting. The Hall would balk at this. They would say that we need Dave Marsh every year at our meeting because of his extensive musical knowledge. But I say that their are many (no tons) of musical experts out there who have a vast knowledge of all genres of music who could do as good a job as Dave Marsh or Steven Van Zandt.
Adding new voters is not enough. We all know that unless you get past the nominating committee adding new voters won't help a Rush or Alice Cooper get inducted.
I say a yearly turnover of fresh eyes and ears. Not every 2 or 5 years, but yearly. I bet the final ballot will be better than we could imagine.
Add to Technorati Favorites