Monday, February 23, 2009

Proposing To 33 1/3

Years ago at the height of his Great American Songbook CD's, I sent in a proposal to the 33 1/3 book series to write one of their books on Every Picture Tells A Story. I still think it's a great idea for a book. Wasn't surprised that I never heard from them, but I looking over this list of their finalists 33 1/3: The Shortlist, I don't see it listed. In fact, I wonder if it's ever been shortlisted. I've only read a handful of these books. Most of the ones I've browsed through bored me. When I do find a book worth reading, it's usually on a artist/album that most critics don't overpraise. So, on the latest list the only titles I think I'd check out would be the Hall & Oates, Herb Alpert, Randy Travis and O'Jays. I also noted that among the 157 titles I counted 10 by Black artists. Well, 11 if you count USA For Africa. The O'Jays' Back Stabbers is a good idea. And the only Country artists I saw was Johnny Cash, Garth Brooks and Randy Travis. Unless you count Woody Guthrie. I guess they figure that Country can't sell. But there's a lot of Country titles that could sell. Merle Haggard's Okie From Muskogee or how about Dolly Parton's 1975 Greatest Hits, which I think somebody else brought up.
Add to Technorati Favorites