Wednesday, December 15, 2010

2011 Rock Hall Reaction

Not to brag too much, but I predicted 4 of this year's 5 Rock Hall inductees back on a November 1 blog post.

This year's inductees, Neil Diamond, Darlene Love, Alice Cooper, Tom Waits and Dr. John were not a big surprise, to me at least. The only name I bombed out on was Darlene Love, who I consider a minor name in Rock history. Waits I predicted would get in as well, due to being a critic and artist fave.

Once again no Disco acts, but I hope the Hall keeps nominating Donna Summer and Chic until they get in. And no Rap acts this year as well. Both the Beasties and LL Cool J will keep getting nominations though.

I'm also glad for Dr. John, especially after reading snippy comments about him when his nomination was announced. The Dr. is a New Orleans legend. Let's hope this opens the door for that other New Orleans institution, the Neville Brothers, who are long overdue.

And then there's Neil Diamond and Alice Cooper. Both getting in first year nominated. Both were easy calls for me.

The only name I thought might sneak in were the Beastie Boys. I think what's keeping them out is their reputation as being a Frat-Rap act, due to their first couple of albums.

The new category of "Musical Excellence" which was formerly the Sidemen award? Elton John wanted Leon Russell in real bad and the Hall listened. The Hall says this award might go to people other than Sideman in the future. Intriguing possibilities abound.

I might as well stir it up right here. Only 1 name out of 8 inductees this year is an African-American. So, besides no Quincy Jones, we also don't get a Don Cornelius.

In the non-performer category, again, no shocking names. Art Rupe has been shortlisted for a long time, and Jac Hotzman's Elektra label just celebrated its 60th year.

As for the 2012 ballot? Guns N' Roses are the only name getting in right away. So, it should be another good year for the Hall to play catch up on overlooked names (hello Stevie Ray Vaughan, hopefully).
Add to Technorati Favorites