Monday, June 27, 2011

Blues Festival

I don't go to many concerts anymore, but when I do I'm most fascinated by the set lists.  Mavis Staples was in fine voice at the Monterey Bay Blues Festival, but her set list wasn't.  She waited until the final song to sing a Staple Singers hit from the early 70's, "I'll Take You There".  Before that her set consisted of old Gospel numbers and some newer songs, plus a 10 minute instrumental break.  But too many hits were missing.  When she finally did sing it, the crowd rose to their feet as if saying "Thank you" for finally remembering us.
The evening "Men Of Soul" was better as Jeffrey Osborne, Freddie Jackson and Peabo Bryson crammed most of their hits into tight sets. But opener Howard Hewett missed many Shalamar hits in favor of average solo stuff.

Note to acts:  I know some of you have had too many hits to get into one show, but at least play more than a couple a show.
Add to Technorati Favorites