Wednesday, December 07, 2011

2012 Rock Hall Reactions

Jann is jumping for joy.  Guns! Peppers!  Beasties!   Donovan, Ron Wood and Rod Stewart for the boomers!  Nyro for the women!  Star-studded evening!!!!!

Let's be honest here.  Jann has wanted popular 80's/90's bands inducted on the same night for years.  That's why he and his Hall staff tried to change the 25 year rule to 20.  He's got big ones in one night.  Now, he can sell the rights to a cable channel with big-name inductees in his pocket.

The good news is we got the Chili Peppers out of the way.  The bad news is they got inducted. Okay, everyone thinks I hate them.  I don't.  I own some of their records.  But talk about getting inducted too soon.  I don't care if they started in the mid-80's.  There are better, more influential bands out there.   Oh well, win some......

The Beasties aren't a surprise.  I know some critics who think they weren't much.  But that's because they still view them as the Licensed to Ill trio.  Their catalog is quite diverse.

As I posted when the Nominations were announced, they really, really wanted Laura Nyro in there. 3 years in a row on the ballot.

And as for Donovan, I also said that I believed he came close last year.  His stock among critic's and most likely fellow Hall voters has also gone up over the year's.

The Rod-era Faces were a great, influential band.  Period.  The Small Faces?  A nice British band.

NO, I'm not mad that my beloved Spinners did not make it first time nominated.  Remember, the O'Jays didn't get in first time either (2nd time).  Judging by some Hall voters, I think they got quite a few votes.  BUT, yes I am worried that they may be a one year wonder on the nominee ballot.  I've got to keep up the pressure on Dave Marsh to get them on next year.

Hell, not much to get excited about on the Soul front this year:  War, Chaka, Spinners, Donna.  Nada.

There are always surprises.  I thought Heart would get in right away. This is the big  surprise for me.   Seems like Joan Jett was picking up some votes, might have split a bunch with Heart.

No surprise:  the ANTI-DISCO voters once again kept out Donna Summer.  Don't blame the NomCom for no Disco acts inducted.  They do keep nominating Summer and in the past, Chic.  But as long as the current body of electorate is voting, it's going to be a battle.   But I'm Captain Optimistic.  I think they will both get in one day.

I have a feeling if the Small Faces/Faces do return it won't be together.  Wonder if they'll be a one time nominee.  My guess is that most voters didn't know anything about the Small Faces.

Sneaky bastards.  Nominating Freddie King and then putting him in the Early Influence category.  Did he not get enough votes?  I've always been on the fence with him, but thought he'd get voted in, not snuck in.  Oh well.  Where will the Hall go next in the Blues category?  Stevie Ray, Johnny Winter or maybe Albert King?

Don Kirshner is a good pick for non-perfomer.  But let's not forget that Don Cornelius is just as worthy. Nope, make that MORE worthy.

As for Tom Dowd, his daughter has lobbied  him for years.  No problem with it.  But let's not forget Quincy Jones as well (who seems to have been black-listed from the Hall, at least Q thinks so).
2 other non-performers:  Cosimo Matassa was a legendary New Orleans Recording Engineer/Studio owner and Glyn Johns also an Engineer and Producer.  No problem with them, either.

Why not look ahead to next year's class.  Among the first time nominees eligible:  Public Enemy are the only ones who I predict will get nominated right away.  NWA are also eligible.  They could sneak in as well.  I've got a year to change that prediction.
Add to Technorati Favorites