Friday, January 20, 2012

Digitalized

By now maybe you've heard:  Digital albums overtook CD's in 2011 for the first time.  Not really a surprise.  People always ask me what will I do if and when CD's disappear.  I tell 'em the same thing I did when vinyl did:  adjust.  I'll keep finding ways to listen and buy the stuff I like.

The more interesting tidbit of 2011 music buying habits:  112 digital songs sold over a million copies.  38 going over 2 million.  Have a 112 singles ever sold a million in the pre-digital era?  I doubt it.  But yes, I know, access is a hell of a lot easier today.  No driving to a record store.  Just load it on your smartphone or tablet or computer or whatever and it's sold.

Like I said, I will adjust no matter what format they throw at me.  In a way, I already have.  I download tracks.  Save them to an external hard drive.  And that's it.
Not hard to get with modern technology.  Is it?
Add to Technorati Favorites